Unilever recently launched a remarkable TV campaign for Dove called "Dove Real Beauty Sketches."
Its power is that it reveals a lot about how women think of themselves.
It also reveals a lot about how we think about digital marketing.
Watch the spot here . Then take this simple 5 question test.
1. How would this execution fare in digital A/B testing vs. a free offer?
2. What data, based on previous A/B testing, would have led to this execution?
3. Would this ad be deemed successful if it was based on CTR? Conversion?
4. What KPI would you optimize this ad for?
5. Are the things we "know" about digital marketing good for building brands, or not?
Extra credit questions: as a digital ad, would this ever have made it out of your digital agency's office without a call to action? If it did, would you have had the courage to approve it?
Tom Cunniff is the founder of Cunniff Consulting, an integrated marketing consultancy that helps consumer brands and leading companies in Big Data, Social Media and Mobile succeed. Frequent speaker and panelist. Chairman of the Association Of National Advertisers Digital Committee. He can be reached at email@example.com.
Read all Tom's MediaBizBloggers commentaries at Radical Common Sense.
Check us out on Facebook at MediaBizBloggers.com
Follow our Twitter updates @MediaBizBlogger
The opinions and points of view expressed in this commentary are exclusively the views of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of MediaBizBloggers.com management or associated bloggers. MediaBizBloggers is an open thought leadership platform and readers may share their comments and opinions in response to all commentaries.