The inaugural Advancing Diversity Week, hosted by MediaVillage and AdvancingDiversity.org in collaboration with The FQ, is announcing the agenda and organizations supporting the advertising and media industry's first-ever collective virtual multi-day diversity-focused gathering September 20-23.
The "Advancing from Inclusion to Belonging" themed event culminates with the 4th Advancing Diversity Hall of Honors Induction Experience on Thursday, September 23.
"If your organization is serious about the issues of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging then Advancing Diversity Week offers best practices and an opportunity to confirm your commitment to the industry's early-stage team members," said Jack Myers, founder of MediaVillage and AdvancingDiversity.org. "Attracting and retaining a diverse workforce is not only an imperative in the current unprecedented competition for talent, it's statistically proven to increase business success. Advancing industry growth through workforce diversity is the purpose of MediaVillage and my personal mission, from WomenAdvancing.org in 2011 and 1stFive.org in 2014, to AdvancingDiversity.org in 2017, and Advancing Diversity Hall of Honors in 2018."
Here is an outline of the programming:Monday, September 20: D-E-I + Belonging!
Tuesday, September 21: Belonging + Retention
- ANA and AIMM Present: From Inclusion to Belonging: Recreating Workplace Culture in our Post-Pandemic World
- 4A's and 4A's Foundation Present: Adding "B" in Belonging – Embracing a Comprehensive Vision of DEI
- The Future Belongs to Belonging
- Facing the Future: Rethinking the Employee Experience
- Belonging, Dignity, Justice and Joy: Framing an Alternative to D-E-I
- Diverse Board Recruitment Solutions – Paying it Forward
- Connecting Generations: Inclusivity Matters and Why Marketers Should Care
- Featured Conversation with Voice of Nickelodeon Africa, Lerai Rakoditsoe
- Building Inclusive Leaders
. Program includes:
Wednesday, September 22: Multicultural + Meaning.
- HBCU Career Meetup
- Spotlight on Leaders Effectively Using their Influence to Champion Inclusivity
- Belonging and the Employee Experience
- Fostering Support Systems for Veterans and Military Families
- Career Opportunities in Media and Advertising - 4 companies share opportunities
- Does Media Drive Culture or Does Culture Drive Media?
- The New Generation of Influential Leaders in Programming
- AAF's Steve Pacheco update on HBCU Career MeetUp Bus Tour in 2022
Thursday, September 23: Advancing Diversity Hall of Honors Induction Experience.
- Marketing Through a Diverse and Inclusive Lens
- Music and Musicians as a Cultural Force for Diversity and Inclusion
- Engaging the Next Generation of Sports Fans
- Change Agents Who are Impacting on Culture, Society and Business
- Gender Rebalancing: How Companies are Reversing the Covid Setback
- How Gaming and eSports Influence Cultural Acceptance and Inclusion
- #AskGenZ: What Inspires Them and What Needs to Change in the Media Industry
The 2021 inductees, chosen for their company's success in advancing diversity from advocacy to activism
- 4A's / American Association of Advertising Agencies (Marla Kaplowitz, President and Chief Executive Officer)
- 4A's Foundation (Simon Fenwick, Executive Vice President of Talent and Engagement)
- AAF / American Advertising Federation (Steve Pacheco, President and Chief Executive Officer)
- American Family Insurance (Sherina Smith, Vice President and Head of Marketing)
- Citi (Tina Davis, Interim Chief Marketing Officer)
- dentsu Americas(Jacki Kelley, Chief Executive Officer)
- Entertainment Studios (Byron Allen, Founder, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer)
- Howard University's Cathy Hughes School of Communications (Gracie Lawson-Borders, Dean and Professor)
- MOBE / Marketing Opportunities in Business & Entertainment (Yvette Moyo, Founder)
- The CW Network (Mark Pedowitz, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer)
The Advancing Diversity Week and Advancing Diversity Honors program is being made possible with the support of the following partners: Disney Ad Sales, Twitter, WarnerMedia (Catalyst); A+E Networks, Crown Media, NPR, Verizon, Vevo (Leadership); DPAA, Havas, NBA, New York Interconnect, Publicis Media, Univision (Supporter); Bold Culture, Forbes, MediaVillage, USA TODAY NETWORK (Media).
"Belonging is the next stage in the evolution of DEI," explains Philip McKenzie, Executive Director of AdvancingDiversity.org. "If the industry is to remain relevant it must create viable pathways for the long-term success of diverse talent. During ADW, we will introduce the power of belonging and discuss how it is integral to making meaning."
To learn more about Advancing Diversity Week and AdvancingDiversity.org programs, visit https://week.advancingdiversity.org/. For content created to explore diversity issues within the industry, visit www.AdvancingDiversity.org.
For press inquiries, contact Diane Stefani at Diane@MediaVillage.com. Follow @AdvDiversity @MediaVillageCom @JackMyersBiz; hashtags: #AdvancingDiversityHonors #AdvancingDiversityWeek