The MediaVillage Education Foundation represents media, advertising, marketing and entertainment industry leaders who have proven their commitment to activating and scaling diversity, inclusion and equality initiatives. The Advancing Diversity Council guides industry-wide agreement on programs, initiatives and goals in five areas following an agreed-upon set of best practices, principles and priorities in each area. Through the MediaVillage and AdvancingDiversity.org platforms we have committed to a ten-year
$100 million+ investment goal to advance media industry growth through education and diversity; to assure our industry is a welcoming home for a wide spectrum of diverse talent; and to connect to the tech community, veterans, educators and students, and other-abled. The overview below simplifies these five goals and objectives.
ADVANCING DIVERSITY FROM ADVOCACY TO ACTIVISM 2020-2025
WHY IS ADVANCING DIVERSITY FROM ADVOCACY TO ACTIVISM NECESSARY?
- Our industry’s diversity retention rate for the first five years of employment is under 25% vs. an all-industry standard of 40%.
- The average first job in 2018 was nine months, compared to 18 months in 2008 and 26 months in 1998.
- Our industry often requires a college degree. Only 33% of the U.S. population has a college degree.
- We need to expand outreach to include veterans, educators, healthcare, and hospitality workers, other-abled, tech-savvy, high school, and those geographically distant from media centers.
- Financial support is required to attract and retain diverse talent.
FIVE PILLARS FOR ADVANCING DIVERSITY FROM ADVOCACY TO ACTIVISM
- Research and Tracking Reports
- Peer and Dual Mentoring
- Financial Solutions
ADVANCING DIVERSITY ACTION PLAN #1: RESEARCH AND PERFORMANCE METRICS
We’re advancing benchmarking and tracking studies to report on industry-wide statistics and trends related to diverse talent acquisition, retention, and advancement.
ADVANCING DIVERSITY ACTION PLAN #2: EDUCATION
We’re advancing and highlighting online- learning platforms focused on preparing potential employees for careers in media, advertising, marketing, and entertainment.
ADVANCING DIVERSITY ACTION PLAN #3: MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS
We’re advancing a marketing and communications campaign focusing on enhancing positive perceptions of media, marketing, and advertising careers among a wide spectrum of diverse and underserved communities.
ADVANCING DIVERSITY ACTION PLAN #4: MENTORING ADVANCES
We’re advancing connections between new employees and relevant and supportive mentors who share experiences and values.
ADVANCING DIVERSITY ACTION PLAN #5: FINANCIAL SOLUTIONS
We’re advancing industry initiatives that underwrite college loan payment scholarships with a goal of attracting and retaining diverse talent.
ADVANCING DIVERSITY HALL OF HONORS
Recognizing Companies, Organizations and Individuals Who:
- have successfully advanced initiatives that improve diversity, inclusion, and equality;
- visibly communicate and advance best practices and best principles for advancing diversity, inclusion, and equality;
- demonstrate that advancing diversity, inclusion and equality are good for business.
ABOUT THE MEDIAVILLAGE EDUCATION FOUNDATION:
Founded in 2016 by MediaVillage chairman Jack Myers, Advancing Diversity is the umbrella organization for Advancing Diversity Hall of Honors and supports WomenAdvancing.org, 1stFive.org, LegendsLeaders.org, FutureofMen.org and Jacaronda Foundation, a 501-C3 organization underwriting college loan relief programs. We collaborate with, actively support and promote several industry non-profit organizations that share a common purpose of advancing diversity, inclusion and equality with a focus on enhancing our community’s performance in talent recruitment, development and retention. Learn more about AdvancingDiversity.org and Advancing Diversity Hall of Honors at www.AdvancingDiversity.org.